Skip page navigation

Skip page navigation


The Behavioral Consultation Team (BCT) is designed for early intervention regarding behavioral issues to help support the health, safety, and success of the IUPUI community.


The Behavioral Consultation Team is a campus wide team that provides consultation, makes recommendations for action, and coordinates campus resources in response to reports of disruptive or concerning behavior displayed by students, staff or faculty.

Examples of such instances include, but are not limited to:

  • Behavior that appears to be dangerous or threatening to oneself or others.
  • Bizarre or strange behavior such as acting "out of touch" with reality.
  • Angry, hostile, or abusive behavior.
  • Other behavior that is inappropriate, worrisome, or disruptive.

All concerns requiring immediate attention (criminal, violent, threatening, or imminent suicidal behavior) should be directed to the University Police.

The BCT does not enact sanctions or administer policy regarding referrals; however the BCT can coordinate and share information with units that may take administrative actions such as: evaluation for immediate detention; conduct/disciplinary action (student, staff or faculty); referral to Critical Threat Assessment Team; emergency notification of others; parental/guardian notification; and recommend medical/psychological evaluation and/or permission to receive such records.

In some cases, there may be no violation of campus rules or policies, but the behavior may evoke alarm or concern among involved persons. The BCT provides consultation and recommendations to the appropriate parties, such as: classroom or workplace management strategies; behavioral contract development; awareness of campus resources and services; and mediation.

Access to the Behavioral Consultation Team

Individuals wishing to contact the BCT should call 274-4431 and ask to speak with the Chair (Dean of Students) or Vice-Chair (Assistant Vice-Chancellor, Student Affairs) of the BCT. Additional information and a Concerned Persons Referral Form can also be found at